Broccoli is a member of the Brassicaceae plant it is also known as the wild mustard family. It is a green edible plant. It’s known as a superfood. Broccoli is a nutritious vegetable that is rich in antioxidants and contains various nutrients while being low in calories. There are two main types: heading and sprouting broccoli. Eating raw or cooking it preserves nutrients, but steaming it gently preserves more of its nutrients. It is a good source of potassium, vitamin K, vitamin C, iron, and fiber.
It is a fast-growing plant annually. Its annual growth is 60-90 cm (24-25 inches) tall. Fresh broccoli has a dark green color, with firm branches and packed bud clusters. The flower or head reached harvest in 60 to 150 days depending on weather or variety.is a fast-growing plant annually. Its annual growth is 60-90 cm (24-25 inches) tall. Fresh broccoli has a dark green color, with firm branches and packed bud clusters.
History of broccoli:
Its botanic name is Brassica oleracea italica and discovered in the Mediterranean. Some people also called it a relative of cabbage. it is derived from the Italian word “Broccolo” which means “the ridge of cabbage flowers” and the word Branch is discovered from the Latin word “brachium” which means branch or arm. In England, it was introduced in mid of 18th century.
Benefits of broccoli:
When you eat something that has a natural taste and has natural things like Vitamins, protein and fiber, they are good for your health instead of eating artificial flavor. When you eat it in some situation or condition it’ll leave a good impact & may protect your health. There are some benefits are described:
- Help in maintaining Bone Health: It’s enriched with Vitamin K, that helps to absorb vitamin calcium, that is necessary for bones. Due to the Vitamin K lack there is risk of bone fracture.
- Help in maintain Tooth Health: It is also enriched with Calcium that’s help us to make teeth strong.
- Helps Fight Cancer: Cancer occurs when bad cells developed and these cells spread in body. Modern medicine also helps to kill cancer cells, broccoli also have potential fight with cancer cells. This vegetable helps to reduce the risk of may cancer like lung, stomach, breast and colon cancer.
- Helps decreases Chronic inflammation: Isothiocyanates is a mixture in broccoli that’s help to reduce inflammation. The chronic inflammation may cause the danger to harm DNA.
- Helps with Weight Loss: It is low in calories but high in fiber, that’s help to avoid overeating. It also improves digestion and excellent in weight loss.
- Helps to Improves Immunity: If you want to strength your immune system it helps. It contains Vitamin C which help to boost your body to fight with infection. This Vitamin also helps in anti-aging.
- Helps to reduce Cholesterol: Doctors recommended medicine to fight with lower cholesterol in your blood. But this medicine also has side effect it may ruined your stomach. it has fiber that’s help to reduce cholesterol in blood naturally. It’s also good for heart health.
Nutrient Per Serving:
1/2 cup of broccoli contains:
- Protein: 1 gram
- Calories: 15
- Carbs: 3 grams
- Fat: 0 grams
In 1 cup of broccoli has Vitamin C as in 1 orange. Body also needs antioxidant healing and protect your body. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals:
- Vitamins A, B6, B12, D, E and K
All the above vitamins and minerals are good for health and necessary for a healthy life. If you take medicine of these vitamins they will harm your stomach, but when you eat them naturally, they’ll not leave a bad effect on your body.
Risks and warnings:
If the thing has benefits it also has some precautions. There are some situations or conditions when you use them that’ll harm your body and health and leave a negative impact on your body. There are some conditions are defined in which it is not good for health. They are as follows:
- Kidney problem: If you have kidney problem don’t eat it. The phosphorus is in it maybe a danger for your kidneys.
- Thick Blood Problem: If your blood is thick don’t eat it. Because Vitamin K helps in blood clot. It maybe danger for your health in that case.
- When you buy it choose in the dark green color.
- Eat fresh broccoli it is good for health.
- If you want to eat it later then don’t wash it. Store it without wash.
- Store it in loose or perforate bags for later use.
- It is good source of Vitamin K that help to absorb calcium which is good for bones, if you have thick blood don’t eat it.
- Try to eat raw or steamed but not fully cooked.
How to cook broccoli:
How to make broccoli taste better:
- Lemon Juice: It gives final touch to dish and make the look of dish yummy.
- Black pepper: It gives an interesting touch & help to overcome the bitterness.
- Soy: It gives good flavor.
- Indian Seasoned: Add ginger butter, cumin and a pinch of salt.
- Mexican: Add cumin, coriander, pinch of salt and red chili.
- Asian Flare: Add ginger, garlic, sesame oil and a dash of red chili.
- Onion, garlic and butter: Butter & garlic help to make broccoli taste tempting. Simply fry broccoli with in a pan with a small amount of butter, add some onion and grated garlic. You can also sprinkle lemon.
- Dip of broccoli: Steam broccoli and blend it with low fat yogurt, green onion, fresh garlic and paprika. Eat many things with this dip.
- Make it Marinara: Pour some alla Marinara sauce on steamed broccoli. Topped with low-fat cheese or parmesan.
- Cheesy broccoli with Bacon Bits: Steam the flower part and topped with cheddar cheese, bacon bits and grated garlic.
- Top or Dip with Hummus: Steam the flower part and top it with Hummus or dipped with Hummus, It’s the best snack for hunger.
Tips and Tricks for season Broccoli:
- Cut it into small pieces.
- When you cut it for eating use head not branches.
- Add spices in less quantity if you like them.
- If your broccoli is not looking good. Cut into 0.5 inches from the bottom base. Put this bottom base into cold water for a night in refrigerator.
- It is a member of the Brassicaceae plant it is also known as the wild mustard family.
- The U.S. is 3rd largest producer of it.
- It is rich in vitamins, calcium, protein & fiber.
- It is harvested by hand.
- It prevents cancer.
- It has two types: Heading & Sprouting.
- Its storage life is 21-28 days.
- It crops during a cool season like fall or spring.
Broccoli is the most famous vegetable. It’s enriched with fiber, protein, calcium, potassium and vitamins.
Not only does broccoli help prevent cancer, it is also easy to prepare and can be eaten raw or cooked, though it is best when steamed. Additionally, it can aid in weight loss.
According to nutrition, it’s the best vegetable and green vegetables are full of protein and fiber. Everything has its pros and cons. Nothing is perfect but you can eat according to the conditions.