Snacks is normally a small portion of food, that is eaten between two meals. A snack is a ready-to-eat food that doesn’t require time for consumption to prepare it. Usually, they are referred to as nuts, fruits and vegetables which are eaten in small portions to refill energy or for satisfying timeless hunger. There are varieties of snacks including packed snacks or processed snacks made from fresh ingredients at home. They are important for nutrients and refilling energy.
Popcorn, wheat crackers, bagels, toast, muffins and cereals are made from grain and are good for health and also prevent timeless hunger. Fresh fruits are also good snacks and also, and they are healthy. Cottage cheese or yoghurt is a low-fat snack without a lot of calories and also provides you with plenty of nutrients.
History of Snacks:
40–45 years ago in Europe first flavored crisp appear with cheese and onion. The first snack is salted potato crisps that are available in blue packets. In addition, only salted snacks are available, but now there are varieties of snacks.
Healthy Snacks that can help you Lose Weight:
- Mixed Nuts: Nuts have naturally sweetened, proteins, vitamins and fiber that balance our diet. They are ideal nutritional snacks. They are not only tasty but also provide health benefits. Studies also suggest that they help to reduce weight. There are a variety of nuts you can choose from, including almonds, hazelnuts, walnuts, macadamia nuts, Brazil nuts, pine nuts, pistachios & cashews.
- Greek yogurt and mixed berries: Greek yoghurt has high protein, and berries are antioxidants. The mixture of different colored berries makes the yogurt delicious and also provides nutrients to the body because berries are naturally sweet so there is no need to add artificial sugar.
- Apple Slice with peanut butter: Apples are good for health when we eat an apple daily it keeps away the doctor. The match of apple and peanut butter is heaven both flavor-wise and nutritionally. You also can sprinkle cinnamon on apples for boosting flavor. With the combination of peanut butter and apple, you’ll enjoy a crispy and creamy snack at home.
- Cottage Cheese & Fruits: Cottage cheese has a rich filling of protein. Combining fruits with cheese enriches flavor and also results in a sweet and creamy snack. Cheese also gives good flavor when it’s combined with tropical fruits like Watermelon, pineapple and papaya.
- Roasted chickpeas: Chickpea is a source of protein and fiber. After roasting them they are converted into a delightful and crunchy snack.
- Popcorn: Air-popped popcorn is good for health. 3-cups of popcorn have less than 100 calories and they also provide fiber. For flavor you can also add a little bit of olive oil, nutritional yeast and Parmesan cheese.
- Spicy avocado: They have the most nutritious and satisfying foods because of their high fat and fiber. You can sprinkle a pinch of salt and black pepper after cutting an avocado it will enhance flavor.
- Pear slices with ricotta cheese: Combining pear and ricotta cheese makes a satisfying snack with a naturally sweet and creamy texture, and it provides protein and fiber.
- Hard-boiled egg: Eggs are healthy and also help to lose weight. Studies suggest that 3-4 eggs are beneficial in a week. Hard-boiled eggs have high protein. The yolk of the egg has important nutrients like vitamin D.
- A piece of fruit: There is no need to make snacks complicated. Eating a small piece of fruit can be extremely satisfying. Fruits have e natural minerals and fibers, for enhancing flavor you can eat them with yogurt and nuts. Easy-to-eat fruits include apples, grapes, pears, oranges, bananas and grapefruit.
- Dark chocolate and almonds: Dark chocolate and almonds are a yummy combination. Dark chocolate is antioxidant and almonds are a rich source of healthy fat. Combining them they’ll taste sweet and crunchy and you also can store them for later use.
- Baby carrots: Baby carrots are perfect snack when you craving something savory.
- Watermelon Cups: Watermelon is a good source of water and keeps the body hydrated. Cut into different shapes and topped them with chopped cucumber, onion, mint and coriander.
- Lime-Honey Fruit Salad: Cut your favorite fruits into small pieces. Add some lemon juice, a pinch of black pepper and a small pinch of pink salt for enhanced flavor.
Benefits of healthy snacks:
- Prevents you from overeating in the next meal so, it helps in losing weight.
- It can help keep good nutrition if one has poor hunger but cannot eat full meals, such as due to an illness.
- It increases the level of energy if a lot of hours pass between meals and also blood glucose levels drop.
- Fresh fruit or nuts as a snack provides extra nutrients.
Smart snacks around the world:
- Pumpkin seeds (Mexico): Pumpkin seeds, or pepitas, are famous snacks in Mexico. They are healthy and have natural protein, fiber, and also a good source of zinc and potassium. You can eat them in raw form or also can be roasted but make sure they are not salty.
- Goji berries (China): Goji berries is a superfood and also reduce the possibility of cancer. They are antioxidants, goji berries delicious dried or raw.
- Tzatziki (Greece): Tzatziki made from mint, cucumber, garlic and yogurt, it is a low calories dip. In the Mediterranean, Tzatziki used with less salt and gives a fresh flavor. It also suggests diet.
- Crispbread (Sweden): Crispbread is known as a Sweden snack. This made from yeast, rye flour, water and a pinch of salt. It is high in fiber and packed with minerals.
- Edamame (Japan): Edamame is a Japanese snack. It’s packed with many vitamins, and fiber, filled with antioxidants and iron. They mostly used as an ingredient in salads or stir-fried.
Smart healthiest snacking tips, According to Nutritionists:
When you feel hungry, choose vegetables, fruit and whole grain that contain 3gm or more than 3gm fiber and protein, low-fat cheese or yoghurt and peanut butter as a snack. High-sugar, salt and fat snack need to avoided.
- In the pantry or refrigerator keep healthy snacks. When you want to eat a snack, it makes it easy to choose a healthy snack.
- When you eat a snack or meal, eat it on the table and avoid using your phone or watching TV. By this, you eat properly and your mind practice eating.
- Make the habit of eating fruits, vegetables (like baby carrots), nuts, and whole-grain crackers in your workout bag or backpack it make the habit of healthy eating.
- Avoid eating sweet, salty chips and other treats, it’s ok to eat rarely but not daily.
- When you buy snacks read carefully nutrition facts label. Try to buy snacks that have low sugar and fat but are high in Protein, Calcium and fiber. Especially check the serving size if the packets are in small size but the serving is 2 then it means it contains more calories or fat and is high in sugar.
Healthy snack recipe:
- Smoothies: Blend fresh fruits or veggies Like Spanish or kale blend them with milk or dairy-free milk and yoghurt. If fresh isn’t available you also can use frozen. For extra protein, you also can add 1 tablespoon of almond butter or peanut butter according to your choice or your taste.
- Air-popped or lite popcorn: Eat air-popped popcorn and avoid eating fry popcorn. For taste sprinkle them with chili, parmesan cheese or lemon pepper.
- Homemade trail mix: Mix ¼ cup diced walnuts with 1 cup whole-grain toasted oat cereal and ¼ cup dried cranberries for healthiness.
- Banana ice cream: Peel full-flavored bananas, and cut them into slices of 1 inch. put all these slices into a sealed plastic bag and freeze them. Before serving blend slices with water or milk or you also can add berries for extra taste. Pour it into a glass and topped the glass with nuts or with frozen or fresh fruits.
- Veggies, Hummus and Whole-grain Pita: Toast a pita, then cut it into different shapes. Serve with diced veggies and your favorite hummus.
Snacks eating habits have changed over the past years. Everyone wants to eat a snack instead of a meal or when they have no time for making something. They are ready to go, enjoyable diet, and maybe in the future snacks take place of a regular meal. For this reason, we can say that the future of the snack industry is bright.